As I mentioned in my last post, I was given the opportunity to travel to Chicago and take over the Windy City! Along with seven other students involved with campus media, such as The Dynamo (newspaper), WRMU (radio station) and The Unonian (yearbook), I attended the 2012 National College Media Convention. We left on Halloween and it was well worth the eight-hour drive there and back.
We attended sessions throughout the day, which provided suggestions and ideas on how to improve our campus media, gain interest on campus and get creative with our stories, layouts and writing styles. My favorite session was called “Dazzle Your Digital Resume,” which was presented by Cassie Morien, web editor for Boca Raton Magazine (see her website here). She was so energetic and gave awesome tips for creating a portfolio and resume that no employer could pass up. I left Chicago with a ton of inspiration and the motivation I needed to add that extra sparkle to my resume and incorporate my personality and creativity into my portfolio.
After attending sessions during the day, we still had a lot of time to discover Chicago! This was my second time in the city, but I was excited to revisit some of my favorite spots as well as discover new things about the city that I did not get the opportunity to see the first time there. While I could write a novel on my favorite things about Chicago, here are just a few that made me fall in love with the city…
- Sky Deck Chicago – looking down on the city from the 103rd floor = amazing view! My favorite place to visit in Chicago.
- Deep dish pizza (Giordano’s is the BEST and well worth the long wait)
- Magnificent Mile – a full mile of the best shopping ever! Two-story Forever 21 and Victoria’s Secret – need I say more?
- Starbucks at every corner – we arrived just in time for Peppermint Mochas to appear for the holiday season!
- Clean, beautiful city – the city looked so pretty, as Chicago is all ready for the holiday season! Christmas decorations and lights lit up the city on every street.
Exploring Chicago is definitely something to put on your bucket list! I will always have great memories of the Windy City.