It may seem like a silly question, but I found myself asking my sister yesterday, “Do you say Happy Memorial Day?” This holiday honors those who have lost their lives while serving in the U.S. armed forces. I thought at first it may be disrespectful to say ‘Happy Memorial Day,’ while many may be grieving over lost loved ones. However, today is not a day set in place to mourn those we lost, but a day to celebrate the brave and courageous lives they led. It is a day to remember how proud and thankful we are to every soldier who died so that we could have freedom.
While the weather is heating up quickly as the summer months are approaching, heavy desserts are out the window! Below is a simple and light dessert, perfect to bring to any Memorial Day (or any holiday) picnic! Who doesn’t love a fruit kebab? And even better… who doesn’t love a fruit kebab with fluffy star-shaped marshmallows and white chocolate/sprinkle-covered Rice Krispies thrown in the mix?
Have a happy Memorial Day!
- Star-shaped cutters
- Wax paper
- Colored sprinkles
- Non-stick spray
- 1 container strawberries
- 1 container blueberries
- 1 bag marshmallows
- 1 box Rice Krispies Treats
- 1 bag white chocolate chips
- Lay out wax paper. Spray small star cutter with non-stick spray. Smush down marshmallow and then star cutter on top of marshmallow.
- Lay marshmallow stars aside and repeat step one with Rice Krispies Treats.
- Heat white chocolate chips in microwave until smooth. Using end of skewer, dip one side of Rice Krispies star in the white chocolate (or drizzle on top for different patterns). Scatter colorful sprinkles on top before the chocolate cools.
- Clean blueberries and strawberries with cold water. Cut strawberries into smaller pieces.
- Place fruit and stars on skewers, alternating colors and fruits.
- Place skewers on wax paper while the white chocolate cools.
- Grab some confetti, festive ribbon & mason jars to display your tasty treats for the holidays!